Monday, March 06, 2006

Coffee always gets my brain racing...

a) I chose Blogger because I assumed being a well known webblog, (if not the best-known weblog), IT WOULD NEVER CRASH. The first part of my assumption remains true my friends. However, this afternoon proved my second assumption wrong. And this is happening in the less than two weeks I've been using blogger.

b)I watched the Oscars last night. I must confess I was very disappointed with the two awards that went to
Brokeback Mountain. Now, I have not watched this film nor do I ever plan to do so, I think it's a disgrace to all the Western movies I have watched during my life. I always think of my cowboy heros as straight cowboy heros. I don't want anything to change that thought. I was also disappointed with the winner for the best female actress, Reese Witherspoon, because I can't imagine her as ever being an oscar winner. I haven't seen Walk the line yet either. I will watch that movie sooner or later, and I will tell you in case I ever change my mind (I doubt it). Which reminds me, I need to buy a good TV and sound system and DVD player for the place I'm moving in. Movies have once been a very important part of my life, and now I'm starting to lose that.

c) I'm back from Second Cup, and I am nearly finishing my regular cinammon caramel coffee, which is supposed to keep me awake this afternoon for studying Environmental systems. This will officially be the first time I make an attempt to study anything for this course in this semester.

d) I was the invigilator for my TA course this afternoon. The professor left the exam and I was left with the students.
And then a student asks me for the density of water in US units.
For those fellow readers who don't know, this is the easiest and stupidest question in engineering. Any engineer should know this number. It is like asking someone for their mom's name or something.
But the problem occurs when the TA has been using SI units all his life. He hates US units, and so he vaguely remembers a number like 62.4, thinks again, puts on his "I'm sure what I'm telling you is correct" face and replies "62.4".
He doesnt' stop right there. Next he goes up to the board and he writes on the board "density of water=62.4 lb/ft3".
Students all copy this in their exam books.
Ten minutes before exam ends, the professor returns. He smiles at the TA, then looks at the board, quickly looks back at the TA, then the board, then the TA, board, TA, board, TA...
And he screams out "Students, please pay attention, there has been a mistake... this number here on the board (looks at the TA while saying that) is the Gamma of water, not the Rho, the Rho is equal to 1.98 which when multiplied by 32.2 equals 62.4 ...."
The prof is thinking to himself "Who the hell is this guy?!!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home